Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thing 10 - WWW (Wide World of Wikis)

I've been using Wikipedia for some time, though there aren't that many minutiae that I take the time to learn about. I've heard some of the pro's and con's about this site, but I think if it's used appropriately it is great. I'm not a journalist or researcher who needs true primary sources, so just as a layperson it can give me what I'm looking for.
I added a line to the 23 things wiki just 'cause this is what we were asked to do. Otherwise I didn't see much value in that site.
I can see how a Wiki could be a useful collaborative tool. On a particular subject it can be much more interesting when people from various walks of life are able add their own insights and expertise. A library can put a wiki or two on their website which might deal with a local event, a reading club, a current topic in the media, or what's happening in the teen scene.

1 comment:

Linda said...

The exercise is just meant to show you how easy it is to use a wiki. You did see the possibilities for use by libraries.