Friday, June 13, 2008

Thing 11 - Tag, You're It

How did the name del.icio.us come into play? I would have chosen a name that relates more directly to the function of the site, but that's really neither here nor there. If I ever make my own web application, then I get to make the rules.
I'm thinking of starting grad school and can see how a tool like this could be useful. I especially like that I could access my account from any computer. (Of course this means I would need to remember yet another login id and password!)
It's interesting to see how a few of the libraries organized their tags. I especially liked San Mateo which used Dewey, and Menasha which used nice subject categories. I can see the virtues in both systems.
I only use the web semi-frequently, so I don't have that much information to organize in my life. I tend to be something of a minimalist in general and try and live an uncluttered life. I suppose there could come a time though when I might think, "I'm ready to make something del.icio.us".

1 comment:

Linda said...

If you read the section "Name" in Wikopedia, it gives the origin for del.icio.us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del.icio.us