Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Thing 7 - Are You My Friend?

Email, IM, text messaging (SMS), web conferencing, OPAL discussions, Google groups, twitter...........................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................
And this is only the tip of the iceberg!
Not that I can claim proficiency with any of these tools, but at least I have a basic understanding now of each one. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it's more like a slit right now. I can see how each of these can be applied to a library setting, but thinking in an Amish kind of way might be a good idea. With every technology there are positive and negative effects - do we have the wisdom to evaluate and discern what we'll adopt?
The Duluth Public Library seems to be behind the curve. We do have an automatic emailing and phone computer system that lets patrons know about holds and overdues. And patrons can access their account online and do renewals, holds, etc. I believe we have some kind of "ask a librarian" tool via. the computer, but it's not IM to my knowledge.
I plan on participating in one of the web conferencing courses. I have done a few of these sorts of things and have found them to work pretty well, assuming the technology is working on all ends.
Real flesh and blood interaction should remain the cornerstone of what we do at a library, but expanding in these virtual directions can perhaps add something to our gumbo.

No comments: